Saturday 24 January 2009

Rejection - a bitter pill, well, not really

Well today I got an email from Anne at Murky Depths magazine. The thing is I knew this wasn't my best work, so why I bothered sending it in the first place actually escapes me. I think it's because I wanted to send something to someone rather than actually working a bit harder on the story.

Anne was very nice, she said I had a good opener and she said it was a, quote, "terrific idea", but I'd plodded on a bit and the grammar had issues. I KNEW I shouldn't have rambled on for four pages about inconsequential stuff and I KNEW I should have had my beta reader look it over before I sent it in.

Never mind.

I think that story actually deserves a good re-write though and I'll try again later in the year with that story. I'm gonna give murky depths another go next month I think, at least I got some feedback.

Tomorrow is work day. Must write at least 3 things I can work on for publication that DOESN'T involve fabulous but sarky, argumentative men. I like writing those type of boys far too much for my own good.

2 comments:

  1. Who doesn't love a good bad boy? They're my favourite type to write.

    Rejection always hurts. And I think we've all been over eager and sent out work before it's ready.

    Good luck with the 3 new things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a good few steps ahead of most writers: you can recognise that your work needs polishing. This is GOOD! And that rejection's a good one, too: if your work had been dreadful you'd almost certainly have got a flat no, rather than the personalised comments that you received. Take heart. Keep writing. You're doing well.

    ReplyDelete